Thursday, 7 January 2010 10:32
Have you ever created a budget? You may not have all of the expenses or income of an adult, but it is still important to get in the habit of creating a budget. When you get into the habit of creating and updating your budget, you'll be in control of your money instead of letting your money control you. So, what are the basics?
- Figure out how much income you receive each month (this could be from your afterschool job, allowance money, money you receive as a gift, etc.)
- Write down what you currently spend each month (how much do you spend on clothing, entertainment, your car, gifts, etc.)
- Set goals for what you would like to save each month
- Adjust your budget so you can meet your goals; for instance, you may need to cut money out of your clothing budget so you can put it toward your savings
- Update your budget on a monthly basis to keep track of your spending
Remember, don't spend more than you make! This tip will help you throughout life and you'll keep out of debt if you live within your means.
Have you ever created a budget before? What are your goals for saving?
Don't forget to include your Aware Teens Username when you respond so you can be entered to win the monthly points for commenting on the blog!