Friday, 29 January 2010 11:19
To begin saving, sometimes you need to reduce your debt first. Below are just a few ways to get started on reducing your debt.
- Write down all of your debt so you know exactly what the total is. Try using a Debt Reduction Worksheet.
- Incorporate the debt snowball into your life. Pay minimum payments on all of your debts except for the smallest one. Every extra dollar you can get your hands on should be thrown at that smallest debt until it is gone. Then, you attack the second debt. Every time you pay a debt off, you add its old minimum payment to your next debt payments.
- Stop using your credit cards! Don't spend more than you earn.
- Apply for a temporary side job on top of your current position.
- Create a budget so you know how every dollar is spent. You'll probably find areas where you can apply that money toward debt reduction.
- It may make sense to consolidate all of your debt with a Home Equity Loan product.
- Remember that your credit cards are loans. You are borrowing money that has to be repaid!
- Find a debt reduction buddy that will encourage you.
- Take Dave Ramsey's Financial Peace University class and learn more ways to reduce debt and stay out of debt.