When determining what college you will attend, a crucial component is visiting the campus. It’s important to know what to look for and what questions to ask. Here are a few things to keep in mind when visiting a potential college.
1. Visit off-the-tour areas of the school since they pick the “nicest” to showcase
2. Check with local law enforcement to determine area crime not just the campus report
3. Find out if there are restrictions on living arrangements like dorm-only for freshmen
4. Determine parking/car limitations and if they work for your situation
5. Walk from one end of campus to the other to see if the size fits what you are looking for
6. Schedule a meeting with a professor and student in the major you are planning on studying
7. Try to stay overnight on a weekday to a weekend to see what campus life is like for both
8. If it is important to you, try to attend a sporting event to gauge school spirit
9. Observe the diversity of students on campus to make sure it fits your educational objectives
10. Eat at a dining hall to taste test the food
All of these items along with educational and monetary goals will help in determining the best college for you.